Brief General History
In 1804, John Gans moved into Nimishillen Township
in Stark County. He was the first elder in the territory and the
Nimishillen congregation was organized soon after he arrived. The
members met every two weeks in homes or barns. The first Annual
Meeting west of the Allegheny Mountains was held in 1822 in the
Nimishillen territory. In 1825, the area was divided and the Center
Church of the Brethren (Louisville) was organized as a separate
Nimishillen did not build a meetinghouse until 1856.
This was constructed three miles south of Hartville. Services in
nearby meeting points were discontinued. Then, in 1868, the territory
was divided again resulting in the East Nimishillen, West Nimishillen
(Mt. Pleasant), and the (Akron) Springfield congregations.
Henry Browant was the first minister and elder. Members met in homes
until 1877, when a meetinghouse was erected at the corner of Pittsburg
and Mt. Pleasant roads.
In 1962, the congregation changed its name to Mt.
Pleasant Church of the Brethren.
- Drawn from the Brethren Encyclopedia (1983)
Back to History